The ruins of St Mary's Chapel is the only visible remains of buildings from the village of Rattray. The chapel is mentioned in records that date from between 1214 and 1233. However, the style of the arch of the east window suggests that it was built at the end of the previous century. It was built as a private chapel for Rattray castle which was part of the Earldom of Buchan held by the Comyn family. It is reported that it was built to commemorate the death of their son who drowned in a well.
The church has recently undergone some preservation work.